About the Port of Cheboygan
The Port of Cheboygan, Inc. in partnership with the City of Cheboygan, is leading an effort to recruit new businesses, improve port amenities and expand job opportunities. The Great Lakes-St. Lawrence Seaway shipping generates more than 227,000 direct, indirect and induced jobs in the eight states and two provinces bordering the system.
To achieve our mission, the Port of Cheboygan, Inc. will:
- Facilitate port development
- Recruit targeted maritime industries and business
- Market opportunities locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally
- Facilitate financing and real estate transactions
- Establish a Certified Freight Station (CFS)
- Coordinate intermodal logistics
- Secure grants to finance operation and infrastructure improvements
- Maintain asset inventory
- Seek job-training, trades programs, internships, mentoring, scholarships
- Provide political advocacy
- Raise awareness of Cheboygan’s great quality of life
Establish a deep water seaport and partner with private and public entities to strengthen our local economy by developing and utilizing a domestic and international seaport. Our purpose is to market and attract industrial and commercial businesses by providing quality transportation sources, which will provide secure and sustainable employment opportunities for the Cheboygan community.
The Port of Cheboygan will be known as the premier port on the Great Lakes: highly effective, efficient, innovative and trusted in delivering its mission and spurring job creation and economic vitality for Cheboygan, Cheboygan County, the region and the State of Michigan.